Lentil Patties with brown rice and sweet potato fries
Mariana Abeid-McDougall, Phys Ed ’06 (Achiever Fitness)
Vegetarian; you can make it vegan by substituting the egg with flax seed oil or vegan egg replacer.
For lentil patties
1 cup eston (or green) lentils
2 cups water
1 small onion, diced
1 small zuchini, coarsely chopped
1 small eggplant (about same size as zuchini), coarsely chopped
1 green onion, coarsely chopped
Cumin to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp of vegetable oil or more as needed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup rice
2 cups water
For sweet potato fries
1 large sweet potato, cut in matchsticks
Method for patties:
1. Place 1 cup lentils and 2 cups water on stove top and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer until all water has been absorbed. Meanwhile, make rice.
2. Place lentils and all other ingredients into a blender or food processor until coarsely blended. Add more oil if needed. If you’re using a blender, you’ll have to stop blending and mix the mixture up with a spoon off and on.
3. Make small patties from the mixture and fry on medium-high heat.
Method for rice:
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, and rice. Fry, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Add water.
2. When all water has been absorbed, cover pot tightly with lid, and let stand for 20-30 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Method for sweet potato fries
1. Coat a pan with vegetable oil. Place fries on pan and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, turning potatoes halfway through.