Veggie Quinoa Bake
(Alaya Yassein; adapted from “Quinoa: The Everyday Superfood”)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced onion
3 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
1 tsp basil pesto
2 large eggs
1 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
1 cup ricotta cheese
½ cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray with cooking oil or grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
2. Bring quinoa & water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, cover & cook for 10 min. (can also make quinoa in the rice cooker). Turn off heat & leave covered saucepan on burner for 6 more min. Remove lid, fluff with fork, set aside.
3. Put olive oil in a frying pan & add onion. Once soft & opaque, stir in cauliflower & 1-2 Tbsp of water to facilitate cooking if necessary. Saute for 2min & then add mushrooms, red pepper, & pesto. Cook until mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat & stir in quinoa.
4. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl & stir in shredded cheese, ricotta, & sour cream. Mix well. Fold into vegetable-quinoa mixture. Spread into prepared casserole dish & top with shredded cheese (at your discretion).
5. Bake for 30-35min or until center is hot.