Heya fellow Earth lovers!
In case you haven’t heard the news or haven’t yet had a chance to visit us on the 3rd floor of the ARC, we want to announce that we are now open for business!
Check out our “Products and Suppliers” tab for information on what kind of products we currently carry, and our “Library” tab to see what kind of spectacular literature our library offers!
Stay tuned for new products arriving in the next couple of weeks, along with the addition of up to 40 more titles to the library. So exciting!
Also… T-MINUS 10 DAYS UNTIL GREENFEST! http://www.queensgreenfest.ca/
Tomorrow (Jan. 14) we are opening for winter semester!
As usual, our hours are Monday-Friday, 10-5.
Come check us out!
We are opening for the fall semester on Monday, September 17th!
As usual, our hours are 10-5 Monday to Friday. Come visit our location on the 3rd floor of the Queen’s Centre (just above CoGro); the room number is 3-A607.
Come check out our sustainable products and amazing library!
If you are interested in spending a bit more quality time in the Earth Centre, volunteering may be right up your alley! Applications are due on Friday, September 21st.
See you soon!
Earth Centre applications are online this year and here’s the link! The more, the merrier so don’t hesitate to spend a few minutes doing the application & becoming part of our team!
The application is due by Sunday, Sept 18.
We’re looking to open the week of Sept 12 so stay tuned and stop by!
See you this week for Queen’s in the Park (Sept 7) and Sidewalk Sale (Sept 9). Details on previous post.
Alaya & Sarah
The annual influx of students has hit Kingston and the Earth Centre is very excited to meet the new people and catch up with the old! Here’s a heads up about some things going on this week and an update on volunteer applications.
1. Volunteer Applications. Volunteer applications will be released within the next week (we’ll send to mailing list & post on website). Mark in your calendars that they will be due on Sunday, Sept 18 by 4:00pm. Volunteer responsibilities will be changing a little this year. We will still have office hours but the volunteers will be divided into various groups based on their interests and skill level. There will be marketing and education groups as well as groups for various events, like the Book Exchange.
2. Frosh Week Activities. Come meet the new Earth Centre executive group during frosh week! We will be selling a selection of our products and we’ll have books and magazines from our resource centre.
Find us at: Queen’s in the Park (Sept 7; 1pm-4pm; Kingston City Park), & Sidewalk Sale (Sept 9; 9am-4pm; University Ave on campus).
3. Book Exchange Reminder. Our first book exchange last spring was a big success and we’re eager to make it even better this year. The date hasn’t been set but we’re aiming for just after Thanksgiving. The Earth Centre will be accepting books as soon as we open so pack a couple of old ones you have lying around!
4. Sustainable Kingston Speaker.
Jeremy Rifkin, architect of the European Union’s Long-Term Economic Sustainability Plan, is coming to Kingston’s Grand Theatre at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 29. Rifkin is an internationally renowned and influential advisor to world leaders on the subjects of sustainability, technology, energy security, climate change and global economics. For more information on Jeremy Rifkin and this event see:http://www.kingstongrand.ca/events/detail/520
5. Ideas & Meeting Us! The Earth Centre executive can’t wait to see you all again. Please drop by during our frosh week events and say Hi! If you have any suggestions or ideas for the EC, let us know by email or in person. Or leave an anonymous note in our office, if that’s what suits you!
Looking forward to seeing everyone again!
Alaya Yassein & Sarah Ireland
It’s September again which means that the Earth Centre is opening again! We have an awesome new Exec Committee that’s ready to roll and pumped to get the year started. But first, a few pieces of business:
1.) We’re shooting to open September 27th our hours will be from 10-5pm. In lieu of this excitement, we decided to supply some snacks to lure even more people up to our spot on the 3rd floor of the Queen’s Centre. Feel free to come by and pick up some products, scope the new space, say hello and read some of our new books!
2.) In order to open, we need volunteers! In order to volunteer just fill out the application attached to this post and either email it to earthcentreatqueens(at)gmail.com or hand in a hard copy at the AMS office in the JDUC in the EC’s mailbox. Applications are due back on or before September 25th. Details on volunteer training to follow. If you have any questions or concerns, as always, don’t be shy about emailing. Seriously, we love email.
3.) Finally, we’re holding a General Meeting on September 30th at 5:30pm at the Grad Club (corner of Barrie and Union). We’d love to get some input from community members, EC fans, volunteers and anyone else for how you’d like the Earth Centre to run. If you can’t make it out but really have something to say, hit us up on the email or just pop in to our new space in the Queen’s Centre.
Looking forward to the coming year and I hope to see some of you soon!-
Annie and Jenna
After many years of being shuffled around campus, the Earth Centre is finally opening in its new and permanent location in the Queen’s Centre!
Come find us this Thursday February 8 on the 3rd floor of the Queen’s Centre in room 3-A601. For the rest of the year, the Earth Centre will be open 5 days a week for your environmental convenience.
Check out our swanky new space, our sustainable products, our resource library, and meet the exec and volunteers of the EC. We’re excited to finally be opening our permanent store to the public.
See you at the Earth Centre!!!
This is for anyone who sent us a volunteer application but have not heard from us yet…
It seems that there were a handful of volunteer applications where the e-mail addresses provided were mis-typed. If you sent in a volunteer application but have NOT gotten an e-mail from us at all, please let us know asap! Send an e-mail to email@example.com with your name and correct e-mail address so that we can match you up with your application.
The Earth Centre is now accepting volunteer applications from now until January 25th. Please fill out the attached form and send it along to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Earth Centre Volunteer Application 09-10v2 (pdf)
Earth Centre Volunteer Application 09-10 (doc)